The "GUAKAMAYO" is a boat converted into a recording studio in order to record songs with musicians met in the ports where we will stop. It is a journey of four months on the sea between the main islands of the Caribbean music, travel and records will be filmed to make a documentary and a series . We will produce a CD and a DVD to be sold later in the trading network.
The "GUAKAMAYO" is a team of sailors, musicians, and filmmakers : 8 people embedded in this musical maritime adventure. In search of mixed race sounds of the Caribbean.
The "GUAKAMAYO" is set to become the central character of this adventure. It is a 17m sailboat, with ecological philosophy.
Throughout this project we will use renewable energy (sun, wind, water) to sail and to be self-sufficient. Part of the central square will be built in order to install and uninstall percussions , drums, and various musical instruments as needed.
It is a social project in the sense that we want to involve schools and social organizations of the places we will stop thanks to workshops built around sailing, music, mixing , environment and life at sea.
Music is hybrid, for a long time the people of the world have traveled the seas, met, lived together, clashed, eventually mix and give birth to new cultures.
This project aims to follow the footsteps that African music left in the Caribbean. We will work with local musicians to go the roots of these sounds.
The boat: the "Guakamayo"
The "GUAKAMAYO" is a 17m sailboat , which can accommodate 8 persons on board , a part of the boat is fitted into a recording studio for audio and video production. On the "GUAKAMAYO" 8 crew members live, sleep , record, mix and produce audio and films. The "GUAKAMAYO" travel with wind and solar energy. The "GUAKAMAYO" is the main character of this adventure. It is the nerve center of the project, the mobile laboratory for audiovisual creations . This is our way to travel, our workplace and our home.
The Recording Studio
This is a mobile studio with 2 computers Macbook Pro, a good quality sound card (APOLO16/16), a pair of good speakers (Focal 6) , a digital mixing console (Behringer X32 powered by Midas) and a good microphones pack (Neuman, Shure, AKG, Rode...).
Our goal is to record with the musicians we invite on the "GUAKAMAYO". In this studio we will record sounds (percussion, drums, bass, guitars, voices etc...) and we will mix the recorded material during the trip.
The "GUAKAMAYO" will be the laboratory without frontiers traveling with the wind.
The "GUAKAMAYO" will leave in February 2016 from Colombia to Cuba where he finished that first trip in April 2016.
During this trip the "GUAKAMAYO" will make the following stops:
- Puerto Rico
During these four months we will be recording with the musicians from the ports where we will stop. At each stop the "GUAKAMAYO" will be as a creative space. This is where will recorded the audio sessions and video recordings. The boat will be the floating stage where the rule is improvisation and creativity. All sessions will be recorded for the future DVD and CD.
Bruno Garcia (Sergent Garcia) will be responsible for the implementation of audio equipment (recordings, and mixing) for this work will be assisted by Peter Dandin (french trombonist) and Ivan Montoya Darroman (Cuban percussionist).
A team of two videographers will record every step of their journey from the start to the finish to Cuba to perform:
- 52' minutes documentary.
- A weekly column from 5 to 10 minutes that will be relayed by a television channel.
- Realization of 3 pilots of the first three episodes of the series "Guakamayo Project" (planned for 2015).
El Equipo Humano
Pierre DandinSite: www.myspace.com/pierredandin
- 2004 – 2005 : DUniversity Degree Musicians Speakers at the University of Rennes.
- Afro -Cuban music.
- 2008 - 2009: Concert Class Latin-Jazz in Havanna under the tutelage of David Alfaro (Buena Vista Social Club, Afro-Cuban All Stars).
- 2007 – 2008: Stages of Afro- Cuban music (August-October) in Santiago de Cuba.
- 2004 – 2011: Master music on computer software (Logic, Final, Ableton live…).
- 2004 – 2005: Certificate Restricted Radio Telephone Operator.
- 2003 – 2004: Boat license in Granville training facility.
- 2002 – 2003: Diploma 2nd Level underwater diving Urghada (Egypt).
- 2005 – 2006: Professor of Music Education (FM) to Fougeres music school.
- 2005 – 2006: Professor of awakening to the Vitreous music school..
- 2003 – 2005: Professor of Trombone and direction of brass bands in music schools.
Bruno "Sergeant" GarcíaSite: www.sergentgarcia.com
- 2012 – 2013: Tour promoting album "Una y otra vez" United States, Colombia, Bolivia, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Japan and Europe.
- 2012: Residencia con el grupo Bazurto en Cartagena (Colombia), grabación de 6 canciones + Videoclip.
- 2011: Residence in Cali with the crew Zalama group. Recording 2 tracks + VideoClip.
- 2012 – 2013: Lectures on alternative music in the French Alliances and French schools of Bogota, Cali, Lima, Cartagena
- 2011: Album "Una y otra vez" recorded between France, Spain and Colombia. LATIN GRAMMYS Nominated 2013 + tour France, Europe, USA, Canada, Bolivia and Mexico.
- 2010 – 2013: NGO Interventions in Colombia and Ecuador.
- 2010: Recording new album + tour + Neighborhoods Bogota, Ecuador, Argentina and Chile.
- 2009: EP "Cumbiamuffin" recorded in Bogota (Colombia) + tour Pasto Colombia, Medellin, Bogota, Cartagena, Cali...
- 2008: British Tour. Rock Al Parque Fest (Bogota), Cali + tour France and Europe..
- 2007: Mexico tour, 1st Live Show in Colombia, extraordinary Gig in Bogota.
- 2006: Album "Máscaras" recorded in Spain and Mexico + tour France, Spain, Europe, Russia, Mexico, Egypt, Vietnam, Laos, Indonesia, La Reunion...
- 2003: Album "La Semilla escondida" Nominated WINS THE, recorded in Cuba and Jamaica MUSIC + Tour France, Spain, Europe
- 2001: Album "Sin Fronteras" + tour France, Spain, Europe, Mexico, Venezuela, USA.
- 1999: Album "Un poquito quemao" + tour France, Spain, Europe, USA.
- 1997: Album "Viva el sargento" + tour France, Spain.
- 1997: VIVA EL SARGENTO (CRASH RECORDS) Recorded in France.
- 1999: UN POQUITO QUEMA'O (LABELS/VIRGIN) Recorded in France (Producer: R. Létang).
- 2001: CONEXIÓN LATINA (LABELS/VIRGIN) recorded in Paris and Los Angeles with ERIC BOBO (CYPRESS HILL) and DELINQUENT HABITS (Producer: R. Létang).
- 2001: SIN FRONTERAS (LABELS/VIRGIN) recorded in France (Producer: R. Létang).
- 2003: LA SEMILLA ESCONDIDA (LABELS/VIRGIN) recorded between Cuba and Jamaica (Producer: Tyrone Downie/The Wailers).
- 2006: MÁSCARAS (LA GWAGWITA / EMI) recorded between Spain and Mexico (Producer: Toy Hernández)
- 2006: OKOKAN SOUND SYSTEM – VOL.1 (LA GWAGWITA) recorded in Spain (Producer: Sergent Garcia).
- 2009: CUMBIAMUFFIN (LA GWAGWITA) recorded in Bogotá (Producer: Richard Blair).
- 2011: UNA Y OTRA VEZ (LA GWAGWITA/CUMBANCHA) recorded between France , Cuba and Colombia (Producer: Ciryl Nothon, Ivan Darroman y Sergent Garcia).
- 2013: SINGLE "ABRE LOS OJOS" – 14 reggae singers against intolerance - recorded in Spain (Producer: Sergent Garcia and; Janis Tranny).
- 2013: SINGLE "SYSTEM FAILURE" group of System Failure recorded in Spain. (Producer: Sergent Garcia).
Iván Darroman Montoya
- 1988 – 1991: Drummer of the group ARRECIFE.
- 1992 – 1994: Percussionist del Conjunto CUBA RITMO de Matanzas.
- 1994 – 1996: Musical director of Grupo SON CALIENTE.
- 1996 – 1998: Drummer of SUR CARIBE group led by Ricardo Leyva.
- 1998: Arrival in France.
- 1998 – 1999: Percussionist Alfredo Rodriguez and Jesús Alemany. Tour in Francia and Italy.
Percussionist of GrupoMALKA FAMILY.
- 1999 – 2001: Moves to Rennes. Professor at the Conservatory of Rennes. Group Management SON DEL FUEGO.
- 2000: Percussionista of SERGENT GARCIA, World Tour: United Kingdom, Germany, Eastern Europe, Russia, USA, Canada, Laos, Indonesia, Venezuela, Colombia, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Mexico and Argentina.
- 2001: Conductor on albums and tours of SERGENT GARCIA.
- 1998 SON DEL FUEGO recorded in Paris France Independent CD.
- 1998 UN POQUITO QUEMAO, Sergent Garcia recorded in Paris, France.
- 1999 SÉGA Tramblad Vollard Combo, recorded París INDZO/MELODIA.
- 2000 EL REY DE LA RUMBA PERET, recorded in Paris (El muerto vivo) Virgin.
- 2000 CON TO, recorded in Santiago de Cuba and South Caribe. Producer: Ricardo Leiva EGREM.
- 2001 SIN FRONTERAS, Sargento Garcia recorded in Paris EMI.
- 2001 ELEVACION CD Rocca, recorded in Colombia and Paris BARCLAY.
- 2001 CONEXION LATINA Vol1, recorded in Paris. Eric Bobo EMI.
- 2003 BOOMRANG DaaraJ, recorded in Paris and Africa BMG.
- 2003 LA SEMILLA ESCONDIDA, recorded in Santiago de Cuba and Jamaica EMI.
- 2004 BEST OF DVD /CD, Compilation Sargento Garcia Francia EMI.
- 2005 MÁSCARAS, recorded in France and Mexico Sargento Garcia LA GWUAGWITA.
- 2006 CUMBIAMUFFIN, recorded in Bogota Sargento Garcia LA GWAGWITA 2009.
- 2011 UNA Y OTRA VEZ, recorded between Spain , France, Cuba and Colombia.
The music is fusion, we know. Throughout the centuries the people of the earth have met thanks, or because of the sea. They lived together, made war, mingled, at least new cultures. Through this project we want to follow the trips that all these musics made, and find the elements that each continent brought to the musical mix of Caribbean culture.
It is a reflection on miscegenation, the universality of human people who always travelled the world, it is a reflection on nomadism and migration. The reality or unreality of borders, whether physical or mental.
It is also a reflection on the modern world where everything is going so fast, we will sail with wind energy...
Join us on this project and be member of our crew.
(aka Sargento García).
Iván Darroman Montoya.
Profesor en el Conservatorio de Rennes.